Email marketing is one of the most effective forms of marketing for law firms. In this article I explain why email marketing works so well for solicitors. If you are not yet doing it, you need my legal email marketing guide, available at the bottom of this page.
I can’t tell you how many times I have bought something because of one of these, but it will run into the hundreds. From nowhere it pops in, shows me something and if it catches me at the right moment off I go and do as instructed.
It might be some software that I have been considering purchasing, or a service that I have been umming and ahing about (never typed umming and ahing before but Google tells me that is the correct way to spell it) but this works for all types of services and products.
If you haven’t guessed what I am talking about yet, it is email and more specifically, email marketing. It works for every business on the planet if they do it and if they do it consistently. It works particularly well for solicitors.
Here are 10 good reasons why email marketing works and why you must do it for your firm:
- It keeps your name in front of your clients and prospects, reminding them that you exist until the next time that they need your legal services. Whether they open your email or not isn’t really the point. You just want your firm name popping into their inbox consistently so that they do not forget about you.
- It completely removes the ‘shopping around’ problem. When a prospect contacts you about your services having received your email, you are in the lovely position that they are not calling you and five other law firms. They are just calling you. It is now much more about how you can help them than it is about how much it will cost them.
- It prevents you ever having to hear this comment from a client again “Oh, I didn’t know you provided that legal service!” That is a horrible thing to hear from an old client when they have just instructed another firm, isn’t it? Well, when they receive an email from you every month that finishes by outlining every legal service that you can help them with, you won’t be hearing it again.
- It convinces your clients and prospects of your expertise. After all, if you write something different about the services that you provide every month, you must know your onions, yes?
- By committing to send a regular email newsletter, it helps you to be better at other aspects of your marketing too. When you are forced to create regular new content for your email newsletter you are then able to use this content again by adding it to your website and then linking back to your new articles from all of your social media profiles. This has the additional benefits of growing your website which is good for our friend Google and also for your network of people following you on social media to show that you are a proactive firm. It also gives you the chance of winning new instructions from that new content from your website and social media.
- It starts conversations with people on your email list. When you regularly communicate with clients and prospects they will start dialogue with you about some of your emails. This allows you to develop your relationship with them without specifically selling your services, so that they really do start to think of you as their trusted legal adviser.
- It makes it incredibly easy for former clients to refer you. Now, when they are asked if they can recommend a solicitor, rather than scratching their head and failing to be able to record your name because they have not heard from you since they last used you five years ago, they are now able to say “Hold on a moment, I get an email from my solicitor every month, let me go to my inbox and forward it on to you so that you can get in touch.”
- It allows you to actively cross sell your legal services.
- It allows you to discuss other people’s services such as those of your referrers so that you can generate reciprocal referrals for them to keep the relationship strong.
- It keeps your name in front of your referrers and other contacts to remind them of your existence, providing you with much more chance of receiving more referrals from them.
If you haven’t yet started your email newsletter, or have started but don’t believe it is quite doing what it should be doing for you, you need to reserve your copy of my free guide: Email marketing for solicitors.
Simply click the button below now to instantly download this guide: