This is, without doubt the scariest comment I ever hear when I talk to solicitors about marketing. Often they say “I don’t have time to market my law firm” with a slight smirk on their face. I find this odd. Why smirk about the fact that you will be out of business within two years unless and until you get to grips with marketing your law firm?
Now this fact won’t impact my bank balance, I will still be working for savvy law firms who realise that the world has changed and mastering the science of marketing (not art) is essential to their success. So the only people who will suffer are the owners of the law firm and their staff.
The world really has changed. Sticking your head in the sand and saying you don’t have time to do marketing for your law firm is mindless and quite frankly bordering on negligence to those you have a responsibility for, whether that be staff or your family.
You mastered law, why should you not be able to do the same when it comes to marketing? Well you should be able to, and you can too. But you first have to find the time to market your law firm. Then you have to set that time in stone, and at the same time (preferably every day) sit down and learn more about marketing. Test new marketing methods, see what works for you and what does not work for you. You will soon realise that marketing can be learned just like the law, and when you start to master it, you will soon have all of the clients that you want and need.
If you still don’t think you have time, here are some ways to generate time so that you can market your practice:
- Don’t read your emails first thing – check them only at 11am, 1.30pm and 4pm. That is more than enough.
- If you have email alerts on your computer, turn them off instantly.
- Close your office door for one or two hours at a time and put a sign on it “Do not enter unless the building is on fire”. Your staff will soon learn not to interrupt you (and it is in their best interests not to do so because you will still be in business in two years time
- Take one day a month out of your office. Take no phone, email or electronic device. Read a marketing book, print out all of my marketing communications, join Marketing4Solicitors and read the monthly printed circular. Just get out of your office, away from the everyday noise and problems, and plan the growth of your practice. Opportunity abounds, just give yourself the chance of letting it knock on your door.
- Take consistent action. Once you know what you should be doing, start doing it consistently, and don’t stop until you achieve success. Most solicitors stop far too soon. Marketing takes time to deliver consistently. Don’t give up on it.
I know that there is a bright future for your firm if you choose to take it. Please do.
Ready To Take Action And See Results Now?
Please call 0117 290 8555 to arrange a mutually convenient time for a telephone discussion, Email me or complete a Free Online Enquiry. There is no cost or obligation. We will have a chat about where you are and where you would like to be and I will suggest some things you can do to get there quickly.